About our Group
Biostatistics and Database Development, a unit within Research & Evaluation (R&E), provides services including
- statistical consultation
- data analysis
- data extraction
- management of projects for R&E and other researchers in the Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC) region
Our consultation services include study design, statistical methods, sample size calculation, and feasibility studies to support grant submissions.
Research projects that we support cover a wide range of subject matter including cancer, renal disease, urology, cardiology, allergy, surgery, Ob/Gyn, geriatric care, perinatology, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, and vaccine.
Since 2004, the unit has quadrupled in size. As of July 2010, the unit includes more than 20 PhD or Master-level biostatisticians and more than 20 SAS analytical programmers, database developers, and administrators.
All unit members have strong SAS programming skills in both windows PC and Unix environments. Most of our staff members have many years of experience conducting research of various types and in many areas.
We strive for Kaiser Permanente Southern California to become a leader among integrated health system-based research organizations through the effective collaboration of scientists and staff conducting highly regarded health care research in a work environment characterized by integrity, competence, innovation, and shared commitment.
Biostatistics and Database Development Services
The Biostatistics and Database Development Unit provides the following services to researchers in the Research & Evaluation (R&E) and throughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC)
- Consultation on study design and choices/application of statistical methods.
- Power and sample size calculation.
- Programming and data management.
- Data analysis using statistical software and interpretation of results.
- Assistance in manuscript preparation for publication.
- Consultation on Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC) electronic data systems and data quality related issues.
Our services are available to all employees of Kaiser Permanente Southern California (KPSC). For unfunded research projects we will provide up to 100 hours of free analytical service. For externally or internally funded research projects, including studies funded by the Regional Research Committee (RRC), there is a charge for our services. We encourage all researchers to contact our department prior to submitting their projects to the IRB or the RRC so that an initial consultation (free of charge) can be done with regards to the study design and analysis plan, as well as the scope of the project.
Research Database & Disease Registry Development
The Department of Research and Evaluation has a rich array of information technology resources that support scientific inquiry and patient care.
Our data warehouse, for example, integrates confidential patient information ranging from utilization to mortality, with records going back as far as 1980.
Other resources tap into information from government agencies and other outside sources, including Social Security records, California death tapes, census data, and outside claims. This information provides researchers with a more complete picture of patient health beyond the documented care received within Kaiser Permanente.
The department maintains a variety of registries, including HIV and bariatric surgery. These registries serve a dual purpose, supporting better patient care today and providing information for researchers seeking to improve care in the future.
Additionally, the Biostatistics team administers
- case identification databases for patients with diabetes and chronic kidney diseases,
- an SAS-based data warehouse funded by the Cancer Research Network, and
- a preliminary data application tool that helps researchers gather preliminary information about patient populations before presenting a study to the Institutional Review Board.
If you are interested in more information about our services, feel free to contact:
100 S. Los Robles Ave, Pasadena, 91101